Nicki Doane, What’s In Your Yoga Bag?
Subscribe to Outside+ now to get unique access to all of our content, including sequences, instructor tips, video lessons, and much more. To learn how to injury-proof your practice, adjust poses for different body types, and much more, sign up for our forthcoming online course, Vinyasa 101: The Fundamentals of Flow with Doane’s husbandEddie Modestini. The Yoga Journal LIVE! presenter and co-founder of Maya Yoga discusses her favorite yoga gear, which she wears both in and out of the studio. ALSO CONSIDERED What Do You Keep in Your Yoga Bag, Elena Brower?
Manduka eKO SuperLite Travel Mat
Doane’s all-time favorite travel mat is Manduka’s eKO SuperLite Travel Mat, which is lightweight and soft. I just adore how it folds into the shape of a book and takes up so little room in my luggage,” she adds of her new accessory. It’s something I use all of the time, not just when I travel! $40,manduka.com CHECK OUT ALSOSadie Nardini, and What Do You Keep in Your Yoga Bag?
Jane Iredale Lipdrink SPF 15 Lip Balm
Using vitamin E-rich lip balm, Jane Iredale helps to keep lips moisturized and protected while also adding a slight shine to give them a little color lift. Doane like a light, sheer color. With all of her traveling, she has found this product to be really useful. “I travel a lot, and chapped lips are a common concern,” she adds. “The package is elegant, and the product lasts for a long time.” $15,janeiredale.com SEE ALSOKathryn Budig, ALSOKathryn Budig, ALSOKathryn Budig, ALSOKathryn Budig, ALSOKathryn Budig, ALSOKathryn Budig, ALSOKathryn Budig, ALSOKathryn Budig, What Do You Keep in Your Yoga Bag?
SWELL Water Bottle
Designed to be BPA-free and stainless steel lined, SWELL water bottles are available in a wide range of colors and logos. According to her, her favorite is the wood collection since it “simply feels more environmentally friendly to me,” and she is a fan of natural items in general. In addition, these bottles keep liquids cold for 24 hours and hot for 12 hours. “They are perfect for all-day educational activities, and they look fantastic!” $25,swellbottle.com ALSO CONSIDERED39 Yoga Essentials that are Eco-Friendly
Jane Inc. Organic Cotton Eye Pillow
These BPA-free, stainless steel-lined water bottles come in a range of colors and decorations to suit any taste or occasion. According to her, her favorite is the wood collection since it “simply feels more environmental to me,” and she is a fan of organic and ecological items in general.” Drinks stay cold for 24 hours and hot for 12 hours in these bottles, as well. “Great for all-day teaching events, and they look fantastic!” says the instructor. $25,swellbottle.com WATCH OUT FOR THE FOLLOWING39 Yoga Essentials that are Eco-Friendly –
Stella McCartney for Adidas Iconic Big Bag
When it comes to fashion, Doane does not believe in sacrificing elegance for functionality, which is why she enjoys practically everything Stella McCartney makes for Adidas. A yoga mat, a water bottle, and a change of clothes may all be stored in her Iconic Big Bag.
In addition, there is a shoe compartment at the bottom. “It’s a trendy, quirky purse, and the greatest thing is that it’s vegan!” she exclaims. “This is a true rocking bag!” $250,adidas.com SEE ALSOSianna Sherman: ALSOSianna Sherman: What do you keep in your yoga bag?
Hard Tail Forever Charcoal Leopard Cat’s Cradle Bra
For almost a decade, Doane has been a loyal Hard Tail supporter, donning their all-cotton clothing since the mid-90s. Her new favorite top is the Leopard Cat’s Cradle Bra, which she got from a friend. “I really like the cheetah pattern since it’s exciting and different,” she adds. This bra is a perfect fit and keeps everything in place, even when doing Handstands! $54,hardtailforever.com SEE ALSOPaige Held, What’s in Your Yoga Bag? for more information.
Tonic Melody Capri Pants
Doane swears by Tonic’s capri pants, which she considers to be not only fashionable and distinctive, but also quite utilitarian. According to her, “they’re tailored such that you can see the entire leg.” I prefer to see the complete leg and foot because I’m a teacher. According to Doane, these capris are also quite durable. My favorite pair is a pair that I purchased four years ago that still looks beautiful and has maintained its stretch integrity. $76,zappos.com AS SEEN ON ALSOSummer Fashion Must-Have: Yoga Harem Pants
Cooper-Atkins TC6 Multi Function Timer Clock Stopwatch
When practicing yoga, timers come in helpful since they help you remain on track and regulate how long you stay in each posture for. In Doane’s opinion, these are wonderful teaching and practice resources. In her experience, “if I don’t use a timer to balance the position, I never remain as long on the second half of the pose as I do on the first side,” she explains. “And Cooper-Atkins’ timer is small enough to clip onto my shirt or yoga trousers, allowing me to carry it about with me conveniently.” $15.75,techinstrument.com ALSO CONSIDERED A Look Back and a Look Forward: 40 Years of Yoga Gear
Gomacro Protein Bars
While most protein bars are bland and dry, Doane finds Gomacro to be a refreshing change. Their bars are organic, vegan, and really delectable. They’re a victory in her book since they include 12 grams of plant-based protein and contain no processed sugar, salt, or additives. The sweet that she used to like the most as a child was Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, but she no longer consumes them because of the unhealthy elements in them. “Gomacro bars are almost as good as Reese’s, but they’re much better!” $2.89,gomacro.com SEE ALSO10 Ways Sugar Hides in Your Diet + How To Reduce Your Sugar Consumption
FAQ — Nicki Doane Yoga
What exactly does it mean to practice Maya Yoga, and who was it created for in the first place? Maya Yoga may be practiced by anybody and by anyone at any time. The beauty of this technique is that it is appropriate for pupils of all levels. Maya Yoga is not difficult to practice. It is simple to understand and is plainly explained. The most challenging element of any lesson is learning to pay attention and be present in the current moment. The practice of Maya Yoga will show you how to do so.
- Sun salutations sessions are also beneficial for getting you into the flow and teaching you how to use your breath.
- Yoga has a plethora of health and wellness advantages.
- Both your physical and mental flexibility will improve as a result of this program.
- Yoga instills confidence and calmness in the practitioner.
- With the help of yoga, you may learn how to remain in the present moment and how to make good conscious decisions that will have a great impact on your life in the future.
- You may access the action in a position with the use of props, which are also utilized to assist you in your practice.
Nicki Doane is now conducting in-person classes, correct? Because of Covid limitations, Nicki Doane is unable to teach in person at this time. She has, on the other hand, grown her online teaching profession. Please come with her at that location.
How to Protect the Wrists in Vinyasa Yoga — Nicki Doane Yoga
I feel that the single most effective approach to take in order to safeguard the wrists in Vinyasa yoga, in my honest view, is to learn about the inner triads of the hands, which I have learned from years of witnessing yoga in action. Inner triads practice is something we teach at Maya Yoga in order to not only preserve and strengthen the wrists, but also to stretch the inner line of the arms and expand the armpits and chest. The inner triads are made up of three places on the palms of the hands.
- 2.The base of your thumb at the palm, as well as the base of your index finger 3.The inside of the wrist It is this group of three spots that we refer to as the inner triads of the wrist.
- Please be aware that I place a strong emphasis on the weight’s preponderance.
- What is it about the inner triads that we place more emphasis on?
- This little bone was called after the latin phrase for sweet pea, which means “sweet pea flower.” It is the smallest bone in your appendicular skeleton, and it is located at the base of your foot.
- It is just not a long-term solution.
- If you protect your wrists, you will be able to extend and grow your practice in fantastic new directions.
- I’ll show you how to set the inner triads first, and then how to keep them in place as you transition into Downward Facing Dog: Commence by getting down on your hands and knees, and separating your hands the width of your shoulders.
2.Turn your hands so that your middle fingers are pointing straight ahead, then expand your fingers without overspreading your fingers.
To secure your hands to the mat, press the Inner Triads of both hands into the mat.
The more adaptable you are, the more you will be required to concentrate on this.
4.Bring your chin to your chest and split your knees the width of your hips, as shown.
Kneel down till your knees are beneath your sitting bones and then stand up.
6.Take a deep breath and straighten your legs into the downward facing dog position.
8.Hang your head between your arms and take deep breaths through your nose to relax.
Stay for one minute and concentrate just on your hands. When you’re finished, come down to your knees and relax in childs pose. Please let me know if you have any questions, and please report back in the comments area on how it went! Salutations and greetings, and Aloha! Nicki
Nicki Doane Yoga
Nicki Doane’s Yoga Studio is now open to the public at any time and from any location in the globe, even Antarctica. Maya Yoga is taught at this studio, which is a system of simple motions that serve as a basis for more advanced practice. It is a fusion of the Ashtanga and Iyengar schools of yoga. This combination provides each student with the chance to grow in strength as well as the capacity to go deeper into more difficult poses and postures than they otherwise could. With Nicki Doane, you will learn the fundamentals of Maya Yoga.
- All of Nicki Doane’s Yoga Studio’s classes and workshops are now available to anybody, anywhere, at any time of day or night. There are two types of yoga offered at this studio: Ashtanga and Iyengar schools of yoga. Maya Yoga is a system of simple movements that serves as a foundation for more advanced practice. It is via this mix that each learner has the potential to get stronger while also having the capability of delving deeper into more complex poses and postures. Nicki Doane will teach you the fundamentals of Maya Yoga.
Yoga provides us with support in all we do. Nicki Doane’s online studio provides access to a variety of workshops and trainings from the Maya Yoga Studio on the Hawaiian island of Maui. We provide multi-day specialized training as well as the flexibility to mix and match sessions to meet your specific requirements. Nicki Doane will lead you on a trip through an intentional practice that will keep you breathing, flowing, accepting, and loving yourself more than ever before. There’s enough yoga to keep you going for a while.
- Through dynamic structural alignment, aware breathing, and practical yogic philosophy, I will assist you in discovering a more profound life of yoga practice.
- After more than three decades of personal practice, she understands how the body responds somatically to her instruction, resulting in tremendous transformations in the minds, bodies, and souls of those who practice.
- Yoga is the manifestation of the spirit.
- The Maya Yoga Teacher Training program with Nicki Doane is fully accredited by the Yoga Alliance and is available to students worldwide.
- Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher (YA RYT) certification is earned by the completion of two 100-hour modules, with the Maya Yoga Foundations module (100 hours) serving as one of the two required modules to complete the 200-hour certification.
- Nicki has designed these training module courses to address many parts of yoga, each with its own subject.
- Other subjects covered in the course include Maya Yoga Citta Flow, which focuses on adjustments and teaching aware vinyasa flow yoga, as well as a training on yoga philosophy and the yoga sutras of Patanjali, among others.
All of these postures will be taught in great detail, with a great deal of emphasis placed on the alignment of each posture while also taking the individual into consideration.
What is particularly amazing about two of the positions, notably Sirsasana (headstand) and Sarvangasana (shoulder stand), is that there are several variants of these two postures, and you will learn the majority of them throughout your time in the class.
Begin practicing as soon as possible.
This course will be delivered in person at the Maya Yoga Studio on the Hawaiian island of Maui.
We are closely monitoring the covid limitations on Maui on a regular basis and will keep you informed of any changes.
Each day will begin with an asana practice, followed by a brief break during which you will be expected to write out the sequence of the class you just attended from memory, which will be due the following day.
After that, we have a lunch break (you must bring your own food).
This may involve hands-on corrections as well as strategies to adapt postures to accommodate different ailments and persons, among other things.
This course is categorized as advanced since it is a mandatory module if you intend to complete your Yoga Alliance 300-hour certification with Maya Yoga and Nicki Doane in the near future.
I am beyond thrilled to be teaching this course!
I’m back in the saddle and I’m beyond thrilled to share these amazing positions with you all.
For additional information on how to apply for this position, please contact Maggie.
to 3 p.m.
(Sunday through Saturday) 8 a.m.
The cost is $2200 USD.
Unplug carefully and you will find that your time will be extremely well spent.
Maya yoga provides you with a sense of security and respite as you learn more about different cultures and other regions of the world via practice.
Focused yoga retreats are all about deepening your learning, gaining clarity, and restoring your balance and vitality.
Spend time with yourself and other yogis while eating delicious meals prepared with love in magnificent settings.
YOGA WITH MAYA IN PUGLIA, ITALY The dates are June 11 – June 18, 2022.
Look no further.
Join Nicki Doane in Puglia, Italy, for a week of yoga courses that are calming, motivating, and enjoyable.
The remainder of the day is free for you to do anything you want: dining, napping, exploring, biking, lounging by the pool, hiking, or simply lying about and reading a good book.
Having a week of living together as a group, doing yoga together, eating together, chatting together and sipping wine with one another is something amazing to experience.
Sometimes life becomes so hectic that we fail to make time for the things that are truly essential in our lives.
LUXURY AT THE END OF THE SUMMER IN GREECE The dates are September 4 – September 10, 2022.
To relish the leisurely pace of a summer day and to take pleasure in the wealth of summer crops in order to prepare ourselves for the upcoming months.
In the morning, we will have a more vigorous yoga practice, and in the evening, we will have a more calm session.
Restorative yoga and pranayama are a must in the nights, without a doubt.
Meet up with you on the Greek island of Amorgos in September 2022. –
If you are looking to deepen your yoga studies and learn about the philosophy of yoga, then look no further. This 20 episode course introduces you to basic yoga philosophy and the psychology embedded within the yoga sutras. Nicki has a way of making these deep philosophical concepts accessible to everyone.
In all we do, yoga is a great asset. A variety of workshops and trainings from Nicki Doane’s Maya Yoga Studio in Maui are available through her online studio. In addition to multi-day specialist courses, we also provide the flexibility to mix and match sessions to meet your specific requirements. Nicki Doane will take you on a trip through an intentional practice that will keep you breathing, flowing, accepting, and loving yourself more than ever before. There’s enough of yoga to keep you going.
- We will guide you to a more in-depth life of yoga via dynamic structural alignment, aware breathing, and practical yogic philosophy Both online and in-person, the complexity of her instruction is easily grasped by students.
- A strong emphasis on foundation work, alignment, and supporting postures helps each student find their own personal alignment within the practice.
- As Nicki teaches, she encourages you to discover a space of spirit inside yourself, understanding the enormous connection that exists between you and the universe outside of you.
- A 100-hour module is planned for each of the training sessions.
- To obtain a 500-hour YA RYT, you must finish a further three courses, each of which is worth 100 hours.
- In order to obtain a 200-hour YA RYT certification, it is necessary to participate in a foundations-focused workshop.
- A training on yoga philosophy and the yoga sutras of Patanjali is also available.
All of these poses will be taught in great detail, with a great deal of emphasis placed on the proper alignment of each posture while also taking the individual into consideration.
What is particularly amazing about two of the positions, namely Sirsasana (headstand) and Sarvangasana (shoulder stand), is that there are several variants of these two postures, and you will learn the most of them throughout your time in this course.
Begin practicing immediately if you intend to enroll in this course.
In person instruction will be provided at the Maya Yoga Studio on the island of Maui throughout this session.
Covid limits on Maui are being closely monitored, and we will keep you informed as more information becomes available.
Each day will begin with an asana practice, followed by a little break during which you will be expected to write down the sequence of the class you just attended from memory, followed by a final practice session.
A lunch break is then taken (you must bring your own food).
Depending on the injury, this may entail hands-on adjustments and techniques to alter postures for different people.
If you want to complete your Yoga Alliance 300-hour certification with Maya Yoga and Nicki Doane, this course is designated as advanced since it is a necessary module.
My excitement for this course is palpable.
This is my first post after returning to the studio, and I am beyond thrilled to share these unique positions with you all.
For additional information on how to apply for this position, please contact Maggie.** April 3 – April 8, 2022 is the date range (Sunday through Friday) 8 a.m.
Monday through Friday.
to 3 p.m.
$ 2200 (US Dollars).
Take time to unplug thoughtfully and make the most of your time.
In order to expand your awareness of various cultures and new corners of the globe, Maya yoga provides you with a secure and relaxing environment.
Restoring your knowledge, gaining clarity, and recharging your batteries are the goals of focused yoga retreats.
Spend time with yourself and other yogis while eating delicious meals prepared with love in magnificent settings.
PUGLIA, ITALY – MAYA YOGA CENTER From June 11 to June 18, 2022, there will be no classes.
Because life moves at a slower pace in Italy, it’s the ideal location for taking it all in during this fantastic yoga retreat!
With sessions scheduled in the morning and late afternoon, the retreat will have a more casual schedule.
Take a technology break and use this opportunity to engage with actual people who are doing real things, if that is what you desire.
Not only will you reconnect with yourself, but you will also reconnect with your yoga practice as a result of attending this retreat.
Get back into your practice and be motivated to continue when you return home by participating in this retreat.
4th through 10th of September 2022 It is the goal of this week’s yoga with Nicki to slow down and enjoy the last few days of summer together.
Preparing for the next hectic seasons of Fall and Winter is a great way to unwind and recharge.
There are numerous specific yoga places on the campus, as well as a large selection of yoga props, which makes me quite thrilled.
Make the most of this opportunity for yourself or with a friend by traveling to Greece with Nicki to practice yoga, have meals together, laze on the beach, swim in a pool, indulge in a spa treatment, meditate overlooking the ocean, and soak up the lovely Grecian sun!
In September 2022, we’ll see you on the Greek island of Amorgos!
Resolutions with Nicki Doane of Maya Yoga
Carrie gebb posted a message on Carrie gebb Do you set resolutions for the new year? Or, even better, do you keep them? The start of a new year may be a thrilling experience, full of possibilities and adventure. We are inspired to make new promises or to build on old ones in the upcoming year, which many of us are doing. The reality is that maintaining the course is frequently the most difficult task when our hectic schedules seem to be constantly increasing, our time appears to be dwindling, and our attention span is almost non-existent.
- In addition to being a mother of two, this globe-trotting yogi has been studying and teaching yoga in various locations throughout the world for more than two decades.
- In her classes, Nicki constantly reminds her pupils that while it is wonderful to be able to fold like a pretzel, the body is only a channel through which the heart and mind may open and develop.
- Carrie – I’m sorry, but I don’t know what to say.
- How do you maintain your motivation to see your practice continue to grow?
- I’ve made resolutions in the past, and I’ve found it difficult to follow through with them.
- They provide me with something to concentrate on on a daily basis.
- Life is such a hectic world, with so many distractions.
Nicki is a young woman who lives in the United States.
I do practice on a daily basis, and by that I mean going on the floor and stretching.
I’ve noticed that when I’ve tried to stick to a longer time frame for mat practice, it’s been tough to keep up, and I’ve ended up feeling horrible about myself as a result.
When I arrive with the intention of staying merely for 10 minutes, it nearly always ends up being significantly longer.
Carrie – I’m sorry, but I don’t know what to say.
What are some of your favorite books to read that provide guidance for your practice or life?
Rumi, the Sufi poet and master, is responsible for some of my favorite readings.
Sharon Salzberg’s book “Loving Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness” is another one that I highly recommend.
Another of my favorite poets is Mary Oliver, a modern American poet who lives in New York.
Carrie – I’m sorry, but I don’t know what to say.
What is your recommendation for letting go of the feeling of letting oneself down?
Guilt is one of the most destructive feelings that a person may experience in their lifetime.
Today, I make a conscious effort to set much lower goals for myself, and I practice yoga to help me love myself more on a daily basis and to stop being so hard on myself.
Affection is the solution.
Carrie – I’m sorry, but I don’t know what to say.
Nicki – Being in nature is what genuinely nourishes my spirit away from the mat, whether it’s getting up in the morning and stepping outdoors barefoot in my backyard, to strolling on the beach, in the forest, or in the mountains, or everything in between.
I also enjoy going to live music and dance performances since it is healthy for the spirit, as well as gardening because I actually enjoy getting my hands dirty. ACTIVEWEAR CAN BE BOUGHT ONLINE
The Yoga Garden: Master Yogi Nicki Doane
Nicki Doane, the founder of Maya Yoga Studio and master yogi, was born in 1969 to diplomat parents and grew up around the world. Doane trained with Sri K Pattabhi Jois (Guruji) in India, and he began teaching Ashtanga Yoga in 1992 after returning from his studies. In these modern times, she is still traversing the world, imparting her unique teacher training to pupils all over the world. Doane’s teaching emphasizes awareness by establishing integrity within each pose, which can be carried beyond the mat and into daily life.
- Her lessons include asana, pranayama, philosophy, and poetry into an one experience.
- All of the power is provided by solar panels, and all of the water is obtained from a well and catchment system.
- Your lovely garden has a delectable aroma.
- I really believe that being able to cultivate our own nutritious, organic, non-GMO food is extremely important.
- Do you spend time in the garden?
- Even our instructors get involved, get their hands filthy, and learn about the food’s origins and preparation.
- We enjoy introducing people to new dishes, especially those that a surprising percentage of people have never eaten before.
There are 10 distinct varieties of kale in our garden.
We’ve always had beautiful gardens, but we decided to expand them in order to provide food for those who attend our training sessions.
It’s more nutritional, and it’s also more tasty.
Knowing that at least 95 percent of the food on the table comes from our own garden is a fantastic feeling when you glance around the table.
We feel that teaching people how to cultivate their own food is a very crucial component of the self-reliant healing system that yoga is, therefore we educate them how to do so.
In addition to living somewhere where you can grow stuff all year, you’re also a gardener.
However, because there is no death cycle in this location, the bugs are extremely numerous.
We’ll be out there with flashlights in hand, pulling slugs off the leaves of the lettuce plant.
Growing this food necessitates a significant amount of labor.
Online yoga lessons are quite popular right now in the yoga community.
For a long time, we were apprehensive about taking online classes since nothing can replace the face-to-face interaction that occurs in person.
So, what caused you to alter your mind?
And when we started looking into other online yoga resources, we quickly discovered that there is a plethora of low-quality content available, which caused us some concern at the time.
Because we’ve been doing this for a long time, we’re extremely precise, detailed, and devoted to our work.
It was a fantastic mindset adjustment, and we’re now quite enthusiastic about it.
The Woody family has been a long-time student of ours, and Woody’s wife is one of my closest friends.
Friendship is something we’ve had for a long time, and yoga has been a wonderful, genuine foundation of our relationship.
However, there is something about Woody—as well as Ziggy Marley and Michael Franti—that makes us want to put in the time and effort to create something special.
Exactly. And everyone is responsible for filling his own well. THIS IS THE END OF THE STORY, which first appeared in Organic Spa Magazine.
When we stop attempting to be and become who and what we are not, we are able to recognize what truly exists: an infinite number of options. I believe in the transformative power of repetition. I think that each individual has untapped potential for success. And, I feel that yoga can be many different things, and that at least one of those things is appropriate for you to practice. Throughout each session, my objective is to teach students to let go of expectations and to feel their bodies with present and focus, taking it all in one breath at a time, without judgment.
- I like to take a utilitarian approach to design and am perpetually interested by technique and transitioning between different styles.
- I feel that the mat is the place where we come with compassion and service to the bodhichitta inside us, whether we are sweating and powerful or slow and quiet.
- Laura Mullin, Pik Chu Wong, and Jason Crandell, three of my primary professors, have helped me tremendously.
- It brings me back to my center: mind, body, and soul.
- Show up, do the task, and share the goodwill around you.
Nina Alena Beatty’s full name is Nina Alena Beatty. YogaNina: Nina was lucky to have grown up on the North Shore of Oahu, surrounded by yoga-practicing parents and a community of people who shared her values. Her father, Ray Beatty, is a legendary North Shore surfer who is still active in the sport at the age of 80! In part, Nina attributes this to his regular yoga practice.) He introduced her to the sun salutation for the first time. When she was invited to her first official Hatha class in 2001, she had no trouble saying yes.
- Nina relocated to Virginia in June of 2007 and completed her first Yoga Teaching Training with Lisa Rapp of My Yoga Spirit in Norfolk, Virginia, where she currently resides.
- She returned to her hometown on the North Shore in the fall of 2008 to participate in the Yoga Philosophy retreat (which provided her with even more knowledge about the science of Yoga).
- TeachingEducation: Since then, she has continued her yoga training.
- Nina feels that “more Yin Yoga is exactly what the world needs right now!” Nina has now learned Thai Yoga Therapy with Saul David Raye, who has been a mentor to her.
- Nina studied with Brynne Caleda and obtained her YogaEd Certification in 2010.
- Nina particularly like teaching yoga to keiki (children).
- Nina’s lessons are always evolving to meet the requirements of her pupils.
Mindfulness is incorporated throughout all of her classes—being present, breathing in and breathing out—and she encourages them to practice it.
NINA ALENA’S EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected] www.paumaluyoga.com Eliza Johnson is a young woman who lives in the United States.
Eliza was introduced to Tibetan Buddhist philosophy—with a focus on meditation—as well as the Jivamukti Yoga technique through Morris, laying the groundwork for her future study and practice of both disciplines.
She is a trained Jivamukti Yoga instructor with 300 hours of training and a 500-hour Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) with the Yoga Alliance.
She is imaginative and fun with her sequencing, taking students through radically scored, athletic, and holistic asana.
Kilty Inafuku (Kilty Inafuku) is a fictional character created by author Kilty Inafuku.
I was raised in Kaneohe, Hawaii, but it wasn’t until I came to Los Angeles that I discovered yoga, while I was pursuing my B.S.
Yoga provided me with a terrific physical outlet as well as a mental break from the stress of school and the craziness of city life, which I found to be really beneficial.
The next year, after graduating from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, I accepted a staff engineering position at a locally-based geotechnical business.
Consequently, here I am, a yoga educator, sharing what I’ve learnt from others and from myself along this journey known as life.
As a yoga educator, it is my mission to assist people in discovering for themselves what these many parts of yoga are.
We’ll see you soon!
Six years later, I went to California to complete a four-year Masters degree in Traditional Eastern Medicine at the University of Southern California.
The STOTT Pilates Method has qualified me to teach Mat work and Balanced Body in the Reformer.
It was for this reason that I became interested in therapeutic movement and alternative healing therapies.
Because I was interested in learning more about the deeper concepts and history of Yoga, I pursued a 200-hour Hatha Yoga and Tantra Teacher Training certification through Hawaii School of Yoga.
In order to prevent and reverse disease conditions, it is my hope that everyone will be given the chance to improve their physical and mental postures.
Body and mind awareness, as well as knowledge, are essential for bringing about positive changes that can result in beautiful outcomes. The ability to heal oneself exists in all of us; nonetheless, yoga is a fantastic tool for achieving better strength, flexibility, and peace of mind.
Maya Yoga Workshop w. Nicki Doane
NINA ALENA BEATTY is a fictional character created by author Nina Alena Beatty. YogaNina: On the North Shore of Oahu, Nina had the good fortune to grow up in the company of yoga-practicing parents and a supportive community. Her father, Ray Beatty, is a legendary North Shore surfer who is still active in the sport at the age of 80. In part, Nina attributes this to his regular yoga regimen.) He showed her how to do her first sun salutation, which she found really beneficial. The invitation to her first official Hatha lesson in 2001 was a simple yes for her.
- Nina relocated to Virginia in June of 2007 and completed her first Yoga Teaching Training with Lisa Rapp of My Yoga Spirit in Norfolk, Virginia, where she now resides.
- During the fall of 2008, she returned to her hometown on the North Shore to participate in the Yoga Philosophy retreat (which provided her with much more knowledge about the science of Yoga.
- TeachingEducation: Since then, she has continued to study yoga.
- Nina says that “more Yin Yoga is exactly what the world needs right now!
- Maya Yoga’s Nicki Doane and Eddie Modestini have helped her complete her Yoga Alliance teacher training hours in Maui.
- The yoga program at Sunset Beach Elementary School (in collaboration with Stretch Your Imagination) has been led by Nina since the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year.
- For information on current keiki programs, please contact her.
Whether it’s for beginners or expert students, she enjoys teaching everyone from toddlers to the elderly.
When you are true to yourself in whatever you do, she believes your Light will shine even brighter!
www.paumaluyoga.com Eliza Johnson is a young woman who lives in the United States of America.
Eliza was introduced to Tibetan Buddhist philosophy—with a focus on meditation—as well as the Jivamukti Yoga technique through Morris, laying the groundwork for her future study and practice of both traditions.
A trained Jivamukti Yoga instructor with 300 hours of training and a 500-hour Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) with the Yoga Alliance, she teaches all levels of students.
The sequences she guides are entertaining and imaginative, taking students through athletic and holistic asana that has been drastically scored by the instructor.
Kilty Inafuku (Kilty Inafuku) is a fictional character created by the author Kilty Inafuku.
Even though I was born and raised in the Hawaiian island of Kaneohe, it wasn’t until I relocated to Los Angeles that I discovered yoga, while pursuing my B.S.
Yoga provided me with a terrific physical outlet as well as a mental break from the stress of school and the craziness of city life, which I found to be quite therapeutic.
has been an inspiration to me since then, and I recently finished my 200-hour Yoga Alliance-certified teacher training with him.
Then, after a year in that position, I had a major epiphany: yoga was my true calling.
Over the course of a consistent practice, I’ve discovered that yoga has so much more to offer than simply a workout and a study break.
So come join me on the mat, where you can expect to work up a sweat, to listen to some nice music, and to be surrounded by wonderful energy.
Jennifer Murad’s official webpage Originally from California, my passion for surfing and tropical rainforests drew me to Oahu in 1995, where I earned a Bachelor’s degree in Conservation Biology while working at the Lyon Arboretum.
My employment during that time period included stints working as a physical therapy assistant as well as a personal trainer, before landing a fantastic position as a Pilates Instructor.
Intense physical activity during my adolescence and early adolescence left me stiff, exhausted and in considerable pain by my early twenties; it was for this reason that I became interested in therapeutic movement and alternative healing methods.
In order to learn more about the deeper concepts and history of Yoga, I finished 200 hours of Hatha Yoga and Tantra Teacher Training at the Hawaii School of Yoga, which is located in Hawaii Island.
All people should have the chance to develop their physical and mental postures in order to avoid and reverse dis-ease situations, and this is my goal.
Increased body and mind awareness and knowledge are essential for bringing about positive changes that can result in stunning outcomes. The ability to heal oneself exists in all of us; nonetheless, Yoga is a fantastic tool for achieving better strength, flexibility, and peace of mind.
Saturday, July 17th | 9am-12pm
A variety of vital and beneficial yoga positions are those that stretch the spine and provide mobility in the lower back. It is true that they are known as backbends, and they might be intimidating for many people to attempt them. Allow Nicki to guide you through a safe and efficient yoga practice that will prepare you for the backward bending postures in a safe and effective manner. Your body will be prepared to execute backbends as you’ve never done them before after practicing Sun Salutations, standing postures, and lunges.
Nicki has a sophisticated way of dealing with the props such that they both support and drive you deeper into the posture in a safe manner if that is what is required.
Postures, breathing exercises and props are provided as needed.
Saturday, July 17th | 2:30-4:30pm
Shraddha (faith) and Virya (commitment) are two of the most important foundations of a persistent yoga practice (courage). The only way to develop these skills is by regular, consistent personal practice. What occurs on the yoga mat should not be left on the mat; rather, it should accompany us out the door and into our life, where we are most in need of it. Yoga is a life-sustaining system, and the postures are transforming tools that may have a profound impact on us both on a spiritual level and as a practical way of maintaining our bodies fit and healthy.
- Asanas will be used in this session that are both vigorous and restorative in nature.
- After that, we’ll do some relaxation exercises to wind down.
- The second part of the lesson will be more introspective in character and slower paced than the first half of the program.
- It takes courage to listen and speak from the heart, and these gentler positions will let you to connect with what you’re experiencing on the inside.
- *Asanas, pranayama, and props that are both dynamic and restorative are used* Nicki Doane is an internationally renowned yoga instructor who is well-known for her ability to make the practice of yoga accessible to people of all ages and physical abilities.
- She knew right away that she had discovered something unique and very familiar when she walked into her first lesson.
- Nicki came to Mysore, India, in 1991 to learn with Sri K Pattabhi Jois, the founder of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and the master of the practice.
It was on that first trip that she came to the stunning conclusion that yoga is so much more than a physical practice.
She was completely hooked after that!
She discovered that Tirumalai Krishnamacharya had been Pattabhi Jois’ teacher, as well as BKS Iyengar’s instructor, and that this was the case.
Iyengar, his children, and many of his senior teachers, including Gabriella Giubilaro and Patricia Walden, began at Mr.
Nicki has always thought that her practice has grown and evolved as a result of her study and practice of both of these schools of yoga, and she continues to think this.
She bases her teaching on her personal practice and on her profound trust in yoga, and she chooses to recognize her students as people first and foremost in her approach to teaching.
Using humor in her teaching, Nicki is able to put her students at ease, and she is often regarded as being very relatable and down to earth.
Nicki now resides on the lovely Hawaiian island of Maui, where she owns and operates the Maya Yoga Studio on the North Shore of the island.
She appears in two Ashtanga Yoga videos that are accessible through Gaiam, as well as nine Maya Yoga Vinyasa videos that are available on her YouTube account.
She is now working on a book about yoga for complete novices. Nicki delivers workshops and teacher training courses from her studio on the Hawaiian island of Maui, and she also travels the world teaching workshops, teacher trainings, and retreats in other locations.
What do you need to begin a Yoga Practice?
Here are our suggestions for what to wear to class, as well as a sample of the kind of props and equipment you may expect to see at Source Yoga. What to Wear to Class (and might want to have at home). As an added bonus, we’ve included several audio CDs by Dillon as well as books, music CDs, and DVDs that will get you started even if you don’t have regular access to an instructor or tutor.
Students can make use of props at no additional cost to them. Props may be ordered via the studio for students to use in their at-home practice sessions (prices provided below.)
Source Yoga provides mats for students to utilize at no additional cost. However, if you plan on attending classes on a regular basis, you’ll want to invest in a yoga mat of your own, both for hygiene reasons and for practicing at home in between sessions. Yoga mats are non-slip, provide excellent cushioning, and are available in a range of colors.
Several types of blocks are available for use during Source Yoga classes. In seated poses, one can use a thin, chip foam block beneath the sitting bones to elevate the pelvis and prevent slouching while also supporting the elongation of the spine. Another is a thin, chip foam block beneath the sitting bones to elevate the pelvis and prevent slouching while also supporting the elongation of the spine. The other is a large rectangular-shaped block that allows you to “lift the floor” to meet your hand in a position such as Half Moon, or it may be put behind your sacrum in Bridge to help keep your pelvis in alignment.
A strap is useful for reaching places you can’t reach yet, like as your foot in the Reclining Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose, which is difficult to do without one. Fundamental alignment lessons will teach you how to utilize the Yoga strap efficiently to increase your flexibility while also stabilizing joints so that you can hold postures for extended periods of time. Also useful for keeping your limbs in position, they are employed extensively in the restorative postures taught in our Rest and Renew Classes.
It may be folded in a variety of ways to give padding under the knees and hips in Shoulderstand, to balance your wayward hip in Pigeon pose, and to prop your bottom (to get a more forward tilt) in sitting forward bends. It can also help to keep you warm during your last resting position in Savasana (corpse pose). Warm fleece or wool blankets are provided by the Studio for your comfort and convenience.
During a number of reclining postures such as Reclining Hero Pose or when in Savasana, a bolster is utilized to provide additional support for your lower back and hips.
In our Rest and Renew Classes, it is utilized widely in the restorative postures since it gives excellent comfort and release. They are especially beneficial for people who suffer from chronic pain or exhaustion. He or she helps you get off your feet and rest while also recharging your batteries.
There’s a good reason why baggy sweatpants aren’t the best choice for yoga class, especially for new students. In order to examine your alignment, the teacher must be able to view your body in its whole. Try a pair of leggings or capris from Prana Vida Yoga Apparel for a sleek aesthetic that is also long-lasting. Investing in a decent pair of basic yoga pants is a smart way to get your money’s worth in the long run because they will be worn again and over.
The best top for this activity will be comfortable and supportive, providing covering where you need it during a complete range of motion. However, you should avoid wearing something that is too baggy, so that the teacher can see your body lines. When lifting from a forward bend to a standing posture, a good rule of thumb is that if you have to adjust your shirt and pull it down, your shirt is too baggy. You should be able to segue from one stance to another without feeling self-conscious about your appearance because of your clothing.
If you’re seeking for organic cotton, go no farther than Blue Canoe (bluecanoe.com) or Inner Waves Organics (innerwavesorganics.com) (innerwaves.org).
Selecting lightweight fabric and a style that fits comfortably is important whether you are wearing trousers or shorts. If possible, wear shorts that are long enough so that they don’t ride up when you’re working out. Yoga shorts and pants are available from Prana (prana.com) and Lululemon Athletica (lululemon.com) in a range of styles and materials that are appropriate for Yoga class. Check out Natural High (naturalhigh.com) for a more organic cotton appearance and feel, as well as their bamboo collection.
A shirt that is moderately form fitting and allows for a complete range of movement is ideal for this situation. A cloth that can drain moisture away from your body will be ideal if you tend to perspire a lot or are participating in a Vinyasa flow class. Lululemon Athletica shirts are a good choice (lululemon.com)
- Shirts that are generally form fitting and allow for a complete range of motion are ideal. A fabric that can drain moisture away from your body will be ideal if you tend to perspire or are participating in a Vinyasa flow class. Lululemon Athletica shirts are a good option (lululemon.com)
- Yoga: Mastering the Fundamentals by Sandra Anderson and Rolf Sovik, Ph.D. Yoga: Mastering the Fundamentals by Sandra Anderson and Rolf Sovik, Ph.D. Asanas and many other yogic ideas are introduced in this wonderful book. Nicole Bachman’s The Language of Yoga: A Comprehensive A to Z Guide to Asana Names, Sanskrit Terms, and Chants is a comprehensive guide to the language of yoga. In order to decode the Sanskrit names your teacher may use in class, you’ll need a beginner-friendly dictionary. T.K.V. Desikachar’s book The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice is a must-read. A guide to the most in-depth aspects of Yoga
- Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga is a book written by Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison, and it is available on Amazon. 365 days’ worth of yogic insight, as imparted by Yogis who are comfortable with pop culture
- B.K.S. Iyengar’s Light on Yoga is a must-read. Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff is considered to be the bible of asana. Detailed explanations and examples that make it possible to visualize what is going on within the body as you practice Yoga
- Judith Hanson Lasater’s book 30 Essential Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers is available online. A thorough guide to the asanas that are widely done
- Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness, by Erich Shiffman, is a book about the practice of yoga. Moving Towards Balance: Eight Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee is an excellent reminder that the ultimate teacher exists inside each individual. It includes a home-practice guide that will assist you in teaching yourself
- By Sandra Anderson and Rolf Sovik, Psy.D. Yoga: Mastering the Fundamentals is a book about yoga that teaches the fundamentals. Asanas and other yogic ideas are introduced in this wonderful book. ‘The Language of Yoga’ by Nicole Bachman is a comprehensive A-to-Z guide on asana names, Sanskrit terms, and mantras. In order to decipher the Sanskrit names that your teacher may use in class, you need utilize a beginner-friendly dictionary. Desikachar’s book, The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice, has been translated into English as “Developing a Personal Practice.” It is a guide to the most in-depth aspects of Yoga. Yoga teachers Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison have written a book called Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga. This book contains a whole year’s worth of yogic knowledge, as offered by Yogis who are comfortable with mainstream culture. Iyengar’s Yoga: A Brief Introduction Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff is considered the bible of asana. Detailed explanations and graphics that make it possible to see what is going on inside the body as you practice Yoga. Written by Judith Hanson Lasater, author of 30 Essential Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers. A detailed guide to the asanas that are most regularly practiced. Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness, by Erich Shiffman, is a book about the practice of moving into stillness. Moving Towards Balance: Eight Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee is an excellent reminder that the ultimate teacher lies inside us. You will receive a home-practice guide to assist you in teaching yourself.
- Yoga for Beginners with Barbra Benagh is a great way to get started with yoga. From a seasoned yoga instructor, expect clear instructions and extendable sequences. (bodywisdommedia.com) Yoga with Jason Crandell in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Three 20-minute practices that may be used individually or in combination. (yogajournal.com/shop) Nicki Doane leads an Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice class. Learn the principles of the first series of Ashtanga yoga. (gaiam.com)
- Sarah Powers’ Insight Yoga (gaiam.com). This book is an excellent introduction to Yin Yoga as well as essential principles in mindfulness. (pranamaya.com) Flow Yoga for Beginners with Shiva Rea is a great place to start. Landscapes that are awe-inspiring and exciting sequences for those who want to “go with the flow.” Acacia Catalog (acaciacatalog.com)
- Yoga Journal Step-by-Step, Sessions 1-3 with Natasha Rizopoulos (yogajournalstepbystep.com). Instructions that are easy to follow make practicing at home a tempting option. (yogajournal.com/shop)